Chateau de Plaisance Amusement Park, Chicago, Illinois (1907-1910)
In 1907 two Negro men, lawyer and businessman Beauregard Moseley and former postal worker turned publisher Robert R. Jackson, opened the Chateau de Plaisance at 5318-26 South State Street in Chicago, Illinois.
Moseley and Jackson designed the resort to meet virtually every amusement need of the South Side community. The Chateau branded itself as “The Only Amusement Park and Pavilion in the World Owned and Controlled by Negros.”
Visitors to the Chateau de Plaisance, which was easily accessible by the State Street streetcar, could enjoy a variety of "Open Air Attractions," which included Band Concerts, Vocal Solos, Roller Skating and the best meals procurable for the low admission price of 10¢. The Chateau advertised regularly in the Defender newspaper, noting visits by luminaries such as Mrs. Booker T. Washington and vaudeville legend Bert Williams.
By 1909 the owners had expanded its attraction to include a "Big Musical Program," "Pictures that move," and "Swings and Easy Chairs." It is believed that the swings were mechanical and rotated in a circle.
In 1910 the Chateau de Plaisance changed its name to the Chateau Gardens, still keeping the 10¢ admission price.
Beauregard Moseley and Robert Jackson also owned and operated the Leland Giants Baseball and Amusement Association. The Leland Giants were Chicago's first successful Black baseball enterprise, playing games weekly at 79th and Wentworth.