Kiddytown Amusement Park, 95th and Stony Island, Chicago, IL (1950 to late 1960s)
Funtown Amusement Park, 95th and Stony Island , Chicago, IL (late 1960s to 1982)
Funtown Amusement Park at 95th and Stony Island started life in the 1950 as "Kiddytown". Kiddytown, like so many other "Kiddieland Parks of the time, also had a Fire Truck used to pick up kids for birthday partys and for rides in the park. New owners in the 1960s changed the name of the park to Funtown.The park charged a gate admission but later changed the admission to a ticket-to-ride system.
Alllen and June bought Funtown Amusement Park at 95th and Stony Island around 1967 and ran that operation until they sold it in 1977. Funtown had some great rides like the Santa Fe miniature train, Mad Mouse roller coaster, the Trabant (google it), the Moon Rocket, a Merry-Go-Round, a small Ferris wheel, the Rock O Planes, the Paratrooper, the Round Up, the Octopus, Swinging Gym, hand-cranked rail cars, and the fastest Go Carts in the Chicago area.
In the summer of 1977 Jack Johnson bought the park. Jack was a carnival guy who attempted to run the park like a moving carnival. He pilfered what he could from the park and chased customers, employees and management away by mistreating them (via a park manager 1975-1982). With Great America in Gurnee, Illinois opening in 1976, was a contributing to parks slow death. Jack Johnson sold the park around 1980 to another carnival owner, Bob Johnson (Big “J” Funtown). Finally, in the fall of 1982 the rides were auctioned off and the land sold.
The Funtown jingle went like this: "Funtown, Funtown for the kids and you, 95th and Stoney Island Av-e-nue, Funtown!"
[THE CARVELL'S - OWNERS FROM 1967-77]
Funtown Amusement Park at 95th and Stony Island was last owned by Allan Carvell Jr. and his wife June Marie Carvell of Evanston, Illinois. In 1957, June Carvell and her husband opened the Rainbo Ice Skating Arena and the Rainbo Sports and Skate shop in Skokie. The rink, at Lawrence and Clark, became quite popular, drawing hundreds of people during open skate sessions. It also served as a practice arena for figure skaters and hockey players. Mrs. Carvell also helped manage tennis operations at the Lincoln Park Tennis Club, where her husband, a tennis professional, gave lessons.