Joyland Park, 3301 S. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL (1923-1925)
Opened in 1923 and located at 33rd Street and Wabash Avenue, Joyland Park brought the pleasures of the Chicago's larger amusement parks to the city's rapidly growing South Side Black community. The park was the largest amusement park in the country owned and operated Blacks. Its financial backers included several of the city's leading businessmen and attorneys.
Joyland Park was much smaller than the city's primier amusement parks of that time; Riverview and White City. It occupied a plot of land barely two acres in area and featured only four major rides; a merry-go-round, Venetian swing, the whip and a Ferris wheel.
Because it was owned and operated by Blacks, the park offered Black Chicagoans freedom from the indignities and hostilities they often faced when visiting the city's predominantly white amusement parks. Despite this, the park only remained in operation for two seasons, closing in 1925.